This time of year, the whole country is focused on giving up playtime and getting kids ready to go back to school. Some homeschoolers/unschoolers take advantage of the sales, others plan their own NOT-Back-to-School parties, and others head off on adventures with no nod toward society’s preoccupation whatsoever.
- Since it’s still August, we don’t have to end summer prematurely. It’s still hot out and all of our fun summertime activities can continue until fall actually arrives. We are in Texas, so that’s not until DECEMBER!
- We will enjoy shorter lines at the waterparks, the museums, Six Flags, Sea World, Fiesta Texas, NASA – everywhere! But hurry, school field trip groups will start up soon!
- We will find less people playing at the beach, area lakes or neighborhood parks – let’s plan some get-togethers!
- Our kids won’t experience any giant disruption in their sleep patterns. None of the horrible side effects of sleep deprivation due to early morning class times for us!
- Healthy food is available all day long for unschoolers. Did you see the movie Fed Up?? You’d be shocked at how the schools are pushing such poor nutrition for the kids there.
- We continue to enjoy uninterrupted creativity and play. We know the importance of guarding their children’s imaginations and realize that from creativity, kids learn problem solving and critical thinking skills. These will be so much more useful in their future than memorized facts – especially since the phones in their pockets can give them answers to questions immediately.
- Our kids can pursue their passions all day long instead of trying to cram their interests into those tiny windows of opportunity after school between homework, dinner, and bedtime.
- Our kids can explore topics in whatever ways they choose. They can flit across the top of many different ideas and concepts or dive deeply into a particular interest. No school bell rings to tell unschoolers when to start and stop thinking.
- Our calendars are up to us – our own families and our own schedules. No vacationing only if the school allows it or working around the calendars set by the district.
- We have unlimited hugs, reassurance, games, books, sleepovers, potlucks, playtime, puzzles, music, projects, learning in all shapes, sizes, and forms.
First published in the TexUns Newsletter, September 2014
Do you want a little more support?
You have options!
Private Group Coaching (so awesome and so affordable! Plus 1 teleconference call each week!)
Chaos 2 Confidence DIY – 9 incredible modules with webinars, exercises, videos, resources!
Stress-Free Start – 90 minutes of coaching plus a free ebook that will help you SOO much!
Mentoring Month by Month – when you prefer 1:1 but don’t want to break the bank.